[Kde-hardware-devel] HUPnP and libsolid Licenses - Would be it a problem?

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Thu May 20 22:26:38 CEST 2010

hi,

> Since HUPnP is distributed under a GPLv3 license and libsolid (and
> Qt/KDE as well) is LGPL, this license "incompatibility" wouldn't be a
> problem for us? I'm not a license expert, but AFAIK, if a given
> library made under LGPL uses another library distributed under GPL
> this makes the first (in our case Solid library) to become GPL, right?

No.

>  Assuming that it's not a desired consequence, could Tuomo change
> HUPnP license to LGPL?

Sigh. Step away from the keyboard *NOW* before any of you makes a big
(licensing) mistake.

First of all, *which* LGPL are you talking about? LGPLv2.1 or LGPLv3?
They are not compatible. Mixing GPLv3 code with LGPLv2.1: no go. Mixing
GPLv2 code with LGPLv3: no go. Just don't do it (or at least: don't
distribute it).

Before you ask for license changes, please contact the legal dude at KDE
e.V. first to see which licenses are OK and which are not. The legal
dude is Adriaan de Groot and he is on this list AFAIK. Or, better, mail
KDE e.V. about this: ev at kde.org

armijn