[Kde-hardware-devel] Review Request: Adds tab with Mobile Broadband info (depends on ModemManager)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed May 19 08:48:13 CEST 2010

Hey,

On Wed May 19 2010 02:36:22 Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
> Em Terça-feira 18 Maio 2010, Sebastian Kügler escreveu:
> > On Wednesday 19 May 2010 00:07:48 Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
> > > 	Ok, now plasma applet connects me to the Internet with all three types
> > >
> > > (wired, wireless and 3G), but it needs a lot of work:
> > Good to see that the very basics work. I don't have the means to try
> > here, so everything mobile broadband-related, I have to do blindly.
> >
> > I don't have answers to all your questions, but I'll give some insight
> > here and there, and maybe we can connect the dots and fix those issues.
> >
> > One thing upfront, since that clarifies where certain problems are to be
> > sought: KNM is a monolithic network manager client, it acquires an
> > exclusive lock on NetworkManager's user settings service. The Plasmoid is
> > a bit different, as in this case, we use a kded module to hold
> > NetworkManager's user settings service, and commnunicate with this
> > through DBus and the nmclient library you can find in libs/client.
> >
> > That means that the equivalent to restarting knm would be unloading and
> > reloading the kded module (see the scripts in tools/(un)load-module.sh).
>
> 	Reloading the module does solve the problem of plasma applet GUI not
> responding after NM restart, I had to restart plasma-desktop program
> altogether to make the GUI work again.
>
> > I've just committed a change to not install knm's autostart file by
> > default, but load the kded module instead, by the way. So by default, you
> > get the Plasmoid now. The default Plasma layout will now also enable the
> > NM Plasmoid in the notification area, this change went into trunk last
> > weekend.
>
> 	Not working here. I have just ckecked out and compiled
> kdereview/networkmanagement and it does not load the module automatically.
> I added a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart to make it load at login.

Did you run kbuildsycoca4? IIRC, itc cache needs refreshing for changes in
those .desktop files to work.

> > > . connecting manually is very important to me because I have a 3G modem
> > > and a cell phone, both using chips from the same operator, I do it this
> > > way because voice call using 3G chip is much more expensive than using
> > > the other chip (about more than 8 times more expensive, one more wierd
> > > thing about brazilian telephone operators). So, if I hook up my cell
> > > phone plasma applet will automatically connects me to 3G and my cell
> > > phone bill will increase like hell until I notice it. Ok it will not
> > > because the problem mentioned before, but if that problem did not
> > > existed this one would happen. The problem below makes things a little
> > > worse since plasma applet does not notifies me I am connected.
> >
> > If you've set up a 3G connection (and not set it to connect
> > automatically) it will show up in the list on the right, and clicking on
> > it means you connect. You can use the disconnect button to, well
> > disconnect. In theory, of course, so that would be the intended
> > behaviour. :)
>
> 	The disable button works as expected if the connection is *not* set to
> auto-connect. If it is set to auto-connect clicking on disable makes the
> connection reconnect, which with my MD300 modem means the connection will
> always fail because of the cdc_ether problem I described above. With
> wireless clicking on disable makes the connection reconnects, but I would
> like it to just disable the connection instead of reconnect.

Right ... I haven't found a way to tell a connection that has the automatic
bit set that it should disconnect and *not* reconnect. Something to figure
out.

> > > . plasma applet does not emmit any notification at all as far as I can
> > > see. There are entries in bugs.kde.org with people asking for
> > > notifications when a connection has been made or closed
> > > (https://bugs.kde.org/204356). I implemented this feature some weeks
> > > ago for knm and I think it is quite useful.
> >
> > The Plasma applet is not responsible for notifications, those should be
> > done by the kded module, and configured in the KCM (which is also
> > reachable via the plasmoid's config dialog). A missing feature / bug
> > nevertheless, of course.
>
> 	I think there is no button to launch the notification configuration in
> the plasmoid's config dialog, only for "connections" and "other"
> configurations. I far as I know the notification infra-structure is shared
> between the plasmoid and knm, right? I have already setup the notifications
> in system settings to work with knm, so they should work with plasmoid
> too, right? It sems kded module does not use
> ./libs/service/notificationmanager.*

Haven't looked into this, that's more Will's domain.

> 	Two other problems I have just found: 1. the plasmoid layout gets messed
> up if I go to one of the interface detail windows because the traffic
> monitor is too big for the plasmoid window. 2. The "back" button in
> interface details does not work anymore, I can click on it but it does
> nothing.

That should not happen, can you send me a screenshot, so I understand the
problem better?

> 	Is there any easy way to increase applet window? Mousing over the upper-
> left corner changes mouse cursor as if it would let me resize the window
> but dragging it does not nothing. By the way, the battery plasmoid also
> act like that (mouse over changes cursor but does not resize) the
> difference is that it is the upper-right corner that changes cursor shape.
> All plasmoids should use only one corner (left or right) to resize window,
> right? :-)

It's *supposed* to be resizable, I'd need to check the sizehints again so that
it in fact is.

Cheers,
--
sebas