[Kde-hardware-devel] network:/ ioslave for bluetooth devices

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed May 19 00:56:10 CEST 2010

Hi,

Vendredi, le 14 mai 2010, à 12:57, Kevin Ottens a écrit:
> On Tuesday 4 May 2010 17:50:47 Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:
> > We have created a small kioslave that lists bluetooth devices and
> > their services. But we are unsure if this should be merged in the
> > network:/ kioslave instead.
>
> In my opinion it would be nice to have it there. Makes probably sense
from
> a user POV.

The network:/ kio-slave is flawed anyway. We better merge it with the
Places stuff and similar, it just doesn't map nicely with the current KIO
system (well, actually using it is broken).

While I think the Bluetooth-Stuff is different, similar to like USB
connected devices are, all these need a proper handling outside of the
limits of kio.

> > I've been digging into the code and it
> > appears that this could be accomplished by implementing a new network
> > library backend: interface (BluetoothSystemAble), adapter
> > (BluetoothNetworkBuilder), and factory. OTOH, Friedrich in his blog
> > was asked if network:/ could list bluetooth devices, answering the
> > ioslave was limited for ethernet networks. Could someone enlighten me
> > in this topic?
>
> That was my 0.02€ above. The rest of the answers will have to come from
> Friedrich I'm afraid, I really know nothing about network:/ internals.
>
> Friedrich any opinion?

That above.

Topic for a BoF at Akademy. Are you there? Or a dedicated sprint?

Cheers
Friedrich
--
KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta