[Kde-hardware-devel] GSoC 2010 - Solid UPnP integration project: I'm in! :D

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue May 11 23:10:26 CEST 2010

Le Freitag, 7. Mai 2010, à 12:06, Kevin Ottens a écrit:
> On Wednesday 28 April 2010 01:19:27 Paulo Rômulo wrote:
> > My name is Paulo, I'm a masters student from Brazil and was with much joy
> > that I received the awesome news that I've got selected on GSoC 2010 to
> > work with the UPnP integration on KDE through Solid. :)
>
> Congrats again and welcome among the metalworkers! ;-)
> (For those who wonder I did that privately already)
>
> > At first I would to thank all of people that supported the proposal,
> > especially Kevin (my mentor) and Bart, that have helped me in the
> > process.
>
> Rereading this part, it made me wonder:
> Friedrich, I really think you should be considered co-mentor on this one as
> you started the work on the UPnP side, been discussing with the HUPnP
> people etc. Would be cool if you could hang around on the #solid channel,
> Paulo being kind of active there (when there's no IRC trouble in the way
> like this week).
>
> :-)
>
> I think it's particularly important to make sure you don't end up with
> someone stepping on your toes and that both of you are on the same track
> for the main technical decisions. In particular regarding the use of
> Cagibi, what to do if it's not available (I think we need a fallback in
> this case), etc.

I hope that at the end of the week I have again a working computer setup,
currently is just a mess, sorry.

BTW: Just commited the change to the network kio-slave to use Cagibi for SC
4.5.

For the current Solid UPnP backend I could commit the patch, too, but then I
think the backend as a whole should be just disabled for SC 4.5, as the UPnP
backend is of no use and just adds weight to all programs using Solid.

Would be glad if someone else could do the disabling (just comment out the
proper lines in the libsolid CMakeLists.txt), as I have no working setup.

Cheers
Friedrich
--
KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta