[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Preliminary UPnP support proposal

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Tue Mar 30 16:49:36 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 16:40 +0200, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 15:02, Armijn Hemel <armijn at uulug.nl> wrote:
> >> Some proposed protocols are just that, proposals. These for instance
> >> don't have an implementation or there is just no interest.
> >> In general, if it's not covered by DLNA don't seriously consider
> >> implementing it.
> >
> > Internet Gateway Device? :-P
>
> Ha, yeah that one. This will be irrelevant with IPv6 anyway right ;)

No. User space applications might still have a need to punch holes in
firewalls when they need it, so I actually see a use for it, even with
IPv6.

> >>  it just happens that some remote UI use cases are
> >> covered in the latest DLNA requirements (August 2009) though. So we
> >> might start seeing this pop up.
> >
> > Is that using the RemoteUI profile?
> >

> Was just reading up on it. It talks about CEA-2014 Revision A, which
> seems to be Web4CE and uses CE-HTML exclusively. Don't know if that is
> what you were expecting.
>
> So basically a remote UI "server" (DLNA calls it a RUI pull
> controller) runs a small web server specifically for CE-HTML. It can
> even display media it seems.
>
> It perfectly reasonable to have a standard component to use this
> Remote UI in KDE I think. Can be integrated in plasma, Amarok, etc.

Hm, no, I meant this one:

http://www.upnp.org/standardizeddcps/remoteui.asp

So far I have only seen it implemented on the NETGEAR EVA700 (where it
is completely broken), the NETGEAR EVA8000 and some Buffalo device (I
think). There might be more devices that use it.

armijn