[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Preliminary UPnP support proposal

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 16:40:37 CEST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 15:02, Armijn Hemel <armijn at uulug.nl> wrote:
>> Some proposed protocols are just that, proposals. These for instance
>> don't have an implementation or there is just no interest.
>> In general, if it's not covered by DLNA don't seriously consider
>> implementing it.
>
> Internet Gateway Device? :-P

Ha, yeah that one. This will be irrelevant with IPv6 anyway right ;)

>>  it just happens that some remote UI use cases are
>> covered in the latest DLNA requirements (August 2009) though. So we
>> might start seeing this pop up.
>
> Is that using the RemoteUI profile?

Was just reading up on it. It talks about CEA-2014 Revision A, which
seems to be Web4CE and uses CE-HTML exclusively. Don't know if that is
what you were expecting.

So basically a remote UI "server" (DLNA calls it a RUI pull
controller) runs a small web server specifically for CE-HTML. It can
even display media it seems.

It perfectly reasonable to have a standard component to use this
Remote UI in KDE I think. Can be integrated in plasma, Amarok, etc.