[Kde-hardware-devel] preliminary UPower backend for solid-power

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jun 4 09:43:14 CEST 2010

Hello,

First of all, sorry for the delay in replying to this one... I actually kind
of expected Dario to pick it up, and then people suddenly figured they could
send urgent stuff at my face most of the time. ;-)

On Sunday 18 April 2010 12:41:56 Pino Toscano wrote:
> few hours ago, I uploaded to branches/work/~pino/solud-upower a
> preliminary version of solid-power backend which uses the UPower daemon.

Cool!

> It should be working nicely, at least for the basic stuff (power line
> and battery stats, and suspension/hibernation), handling also if UPower
> exits and is restarted.
> Most probably what it needs, excluding obvious review ;),

I didn't find any obvious mistakes in there... Which would have been
surprising from a pinotree. :-)
Also, I'm seeing Solid::Control less and less these days, so I don't master it
as well as in the past (if you wonder why I want to make it disappear? it's
basically almost unmaintained if you exclude the network bits I think)

> is to finish
> the commented out parts in the battery stats (whose logic was copied
> from the HAL backend), and maybe look whether the currently
> unimplemented stuff can be implemented somehow.

Nope, from what's left (cpu freq and scheme support mainly) that's features
not provided by UPower AFAIK.

> Also, for now I added a compatibility code, so you can compile and test
> it with both 4.4 and trunk.
> Furthermore, at the moment its priority is 110 (10 more than HAL's), so
> if you install it remember it will be used by default.

Admittedly, I didn't try running it yet (I'm lacking UPower on my boxes for
now). Still, I wonder if you'd be interested in working on a backend for
libsolid as well. We'd need to report line power and batteries through it.
From the code you wrote I think that a fair share of it could be reused.

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net