[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid UDisks backend

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Sun Jul 25 16:43:35 CEST 2010

On Sunday 25 July 2010 16:27:34 Pino Toscano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alle domenica 25 luglio 2010, Michael Zanetti ha scritto:
> > As decided at akademy's solid BoF I have started implementing the
> > UDisks backend for solid. Today I have commited my initial work to
> > trunk. It still lacks a lot of things (some properties and most of
> > the StorageAccess stuff) but provides already a lot of querying suff
> > for storage devices. I'm committing this for you to test and
> > proof-read and tell me if I'm on the right track.
>
> Why in trunk directly and not in some branch for later review?
> Where is that written that you were working on that? Why I have the
> feeling that who was not at akademy has not been made aware of almost
> anything...

I've committed to trunk because ervin thought it wouldn't be necessary to go
through some other review instace because he would review it anyways in trunk.

Actually I thought it would have been written in techbase but is seems it got
lost in between the notes at akademy and the final techbase page update... I
should have checked that earlier... sorry.

> > It seems there is some activity lately in branches/work/solid-
> > devicekit/solid/backends/devicekit that is doing pretty much the same
> > as the UDisks backend and adding some battery stuff. What are the
> > plans for the devicekit backend? At the akademy ervin told us it
> > would be an old attempt and not used any more...
>
> Most probably just replacing "devicekit-disks" with "udisks" and
> "devicekit-power" with "upower" could make it work again (if Lukas
> didn't already).
> I just wonder why reimplemeting the wheel over and over, instead of
> taking one of these "working" implementations...

To be honest, I didn't knew anything of this devicekit branch backend until
this week (apart that there was an initial try with devicekit somewhere).
Thats why I commited now to solve that situation as soon as possible...

Anyways, I can move it some other location until we know how to proceed if you
think thats better.

Cheers,
Michael