[Kde-hardware-devel] networkmanagement moved to extragear

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jul 22 14:15:07 CEST 2010

On Thursday 22 July 2010 13:30:08 Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> Perşembe 22 Temmuz
2010 günü (saat 14:02:42) Will Stephenson şunları yazmıştı:
22 July 2010 08:10:27 Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> > > Çarşamba 21 Temmuz 2010
günü (saat 17:28:19) Sebastian Kügler şunları

> > Yes, by me.

Does this mean Pardus is using org.freedesktop.NetworkManager now?

> On
the upcoming 2011 release, yes it will but the applet/plasmoid should

support the system-wide management as I'm gonna make it the default

mechanism.

> The migration implies that we'll unfortunately be dropping
our Python based
> networking backends due to difficulty of maintainance. So
not only the GUIs
> but also the backend will default to NetworkManager.
>

> I want to contribute but I really have little time but will try to post
> few things that I've spotted about the user interface.
>
> Worst case
will be to unfortunately ship the GNOME's applet. Actually I was
> at least
expecting a merge into 4.6 but I've read somewhere that it will
> make into
4.7.

4.7 is planned to move it into kdebase, but you can ship it before
that. We've put it into extragear for now to allow for intermediate releases
to push fixes and new features to the user faster. It works on 4.4 onwards
right now, so you should be fine anyway. Wether it meets your quality and
feature standards is another question though.
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org