[Kde-hardware-devel] networkmanagement moved to extragear

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jul 21 16:28:19 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've moved the networkmanagement stack from kdereview/networkmangement to
extragear/base/networkmanagement today. The new checkout URL therefore is:

svn+ssh://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/extragear/base/networkmanagement

While we initially decided during Akademy that it's basic functionality which
belongs into kdebase for a complete experience, in the end we went for
extragear/base for the following reason: We need intermittent releases between
KDE SC releases: Now you could say "just roll a tarball of that directory then
and release that". We could have done that, but either way we'd force
packagers to split out networkmanagement from base again in order to be able
to ship the updates.

Intermittent releases that won't fit into SC releases could contain:

- more complete support for mobile broadband connections
- UI and workflow improvements
- support for other backends (non-NetworkManager)

Once we've managed to get all this stuff in, and we consider the
networkmanagement stack mature, we want to move into kdebase.

Cheers,
--
sebas, as ambassador of your favourite metalworkers