[Kde-hardware-devel] KDED for bluetooth (bluedevil)

Alex Fiestas alex at eyeos.org
Mon Feb 22 14:59:14 CET 2010

As promised here come more emails :)!

We've created a very small & light KDED service which only listens to D-Bus
petitions and forwards them to something we called "helpers". Currently we've
implemented 2 things (that are mostly all we've to implement here): file
receiving and the agent.

The KDED service itself only listens to D-Bus requests, and then delegates
them to helper processes, for example when a new file is being received the
KDED detects it, and if it's not already running a helper process is launched
to handle the incoming file which will show the user dialog, notifications
etc.

The current helpers:

The Agent
The first thing a platform needs to launch to be integrated with bluetooth is
his own agent. Bluez delegates to the agent (if there is any) some user
interaction stuff, for example if a device is trying to connect to the
computer, the Agent will be called (via D-Bus) so the user can Authorize or
Deny the access. The same happens for example when a PIN is needed. We've
integrated this into KDE by using KNotifications.

http://www.afiestas.org/files/bluedevil.mpeg

Receiving files stuff
The other thing that bluetooth needs is the ability of receiving files. Since
the KDED must remain as small as possible the KDED only listens to the
receiving file petition, and when it comes, it delegates the petition to
another helper process using D-Bus. The helper is not running all the time,
instead it has an inactivity timeout, after which it dies. The process will be
automatically relaunched when needed, because it's a D-Bus autostart service.

The mentioned helper is 99% finished, Edulix has to merge it with my
repository (we're using local gits here). Once he merges it, we'll move the
code to KDE playground.

So, this is the first preview, all feedback will be appreciated.

http://www.afiestas.org/files/bluedevil.tar.bz2