[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid UPnP GSoC idea

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Apr 8 23:46:25 CEST 2010

On Thursday 8 April 2010 14:47:03 Paulo Rômulo wrote:
> > Once we ship KDE SC with UPnP integration there are going to be a lot
> > of bug reports by people unfamiliar with the technology and hence
> > unable to debug. Since a lot of problems will be caused by bad device
> > implementations we should get as much info about the local UPnP
> > environment as possible.
> > For this we can create a data-gathering application, probably using
> > python, that will help us developers hugely by reducing the required
> > skill level of the UPnP bug-reporters.
>
> During or after the GSoC?

I'd say during. There's likely enough time for it IMO (depends how fast the
solid backend would be ready, but the other proposed tasks aren't that large).

> After all, we can't rule out
>
> > library bugs when we use the same one for gathering the debug data.
> > Some packaging experience will help as well, it should be an easy to
> > use, preferably self-contained binary or self-installable script with
> > a simple UI and a direct upload function to bugs.kde.org.
>
> If the use of HUPnP has become a requirement for the development of the
> backend,

Well, I can't really judge which one is the "best" (ambiguous metric, hey?)
between HUPnP and Brisa. But from the discussions here, it seems that HUPnP is
the one with most momentum right now and then the most likely to be accepted.

> we can use our framework <http://brisa.garage.maemo.org/> to the
> tests.

Sounds like a good idea, in particular since you could use the python version
which seems more mature and would allow fast prototyping of said tool.

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net