[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid UPnP GSoC idea

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Apr 7 15:01:51 CEST 2010

Hi Bart, Paulo and all,

Mardi, le 6 avril 2010, à 13:46, Bart Cerneels a écrit:
> Hey metalworkers,
>
> The recent discussion here and on melange have shown that UPnP is a

Melange?

> very interesting, but also a very large topic for a single GSoC
> student.
> Since GSoC is intended for learning and contributor integration rather
> then burning people out, I decided to make a new GSoC proposal.
>
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#Project:_Network_Device_Detection_
> .26_Desktop_Integration_for_UPnP
>
> This proposal focuses on the Solid detection side and also various
> smaller integrations into KDE SC. Examples I can think of:
> - Plasma device notifier extended to list UPnP mediaserver shares.
> With extra info like IP address, netbios- or hostname, etc
> - Gateway listed in KNetworkManager tooltip, with list of forwarded
> ports and a direct link to the management page.

A module wrapping access to the InternetGatewayDevice type would indeed be
useful. E.g. currently KTorrent and Konversation both have their own custom
stand-alone code (though derived from each other) to punch a hole into the
gateway (for NAT traversal), and Kopete lacks even that.

> - Network neighborhood plasma widget.

I would like that. And other like Kevin I also think it should be a different
one to the one for the locally connected. I even would prefer it it would show
the devices similarly to how the windows are shown in the tasks(/windows)
applet, just with icon-only mode. Kind of what the network:/ kio-slave shows,
just as convenient applet, with added value.

> The UPnP backend for Solid will test the architecture in preparation
> for other local network protocols: DAAP, Bonjour, netbios, ...

For this it might also be interesting to see how
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/runtime/kioslave/network/network/
could be enhanced as an alternative. The remote (and more service-oriented)
nature of stuff on the network might not really fit into the scope of Solid
perhaps.
Unless we expect Solid to e.g. deliver all http servers on the network. Would
we?

Cheers
Friedrich
--