[Kde-hardware-devel] Of UPnP and GSoC and integration

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Apr 7 00:07:44 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 6 April 2010 11:53:21 Bart Cerneels wrote:
> 2010/3/30 Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org>:
> > On Tuesday 30 March 2010 10:55:06 Bart Cerneels wrote:
> >> StorageAccess is on a different abstraction level: based on this it's
> >> listed in NDM.
> >
> > NDM?
>
> Network Device Notifier (sorry, typo), a specialized plasma
> device-notifier only showing network devices

Ah well. Nothing like that should ever exist, it would just duplicate exactly
what the device notifier already does. It's a completely generic applet and
does absolutely nothing specific to a given app in the system or a given
device type.

> (and not having
> frustrating popups all the time ;) ). This could just as well be new
> feature for plasma-device-notifier (but always have the option to turn
> of the popup, m'kay!).

Well, for the popup behavior you're preaching to the wrong choir, that's up to
the plasma people to decide that. I offloaded the work to Jacopo a while back.
;-)

As for my personal (irrelevant) opinion on that, "an option to turn off the
popup" would be a wrong move. There's still a few paper cuts in the way the
popup information is handled, but done right such an option would be useless.
In particular, for new device notifications if probably shouldn't show the
full device list, but a small temporary popup about the newly discovered
device only.

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net