[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid UPnP GSoC idea

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Tue Apr 6 13:46:02 CEST 2010

Hey metalworkers,

The recent discussion here and on melange have shown that UPnP is a
very interesting, but also a very large topic for a single GSoC
student.
Since GSoC is intended for learning and contributor integration rather
then burning people out, I decided to make a new GSoC proposal.

http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#Project:_Network_Device_Detection_.26_Desktop_Integration_for_UPnP

This proposal focuses on the Solid detection side and also various
smaller integrations into KDE SC. Examples I can think of:
- Plasma device notifier extended to list UPnP mediaserver shares.
With extra info like IP address, netbios- or hostname, etc
- Gateway listed in KNetworkManager tooltip, with list of forwarded
ports and a direct link to the management page.
- Network neighborhood plasma widget.

The UPnP backend for Solid will test the architecture in preparation
for other local network protocols: DAAP, Bonjour, netbios, ...

We have 2 candidates for UPnP, so logistically we are set. Don't let
that prevent interested students from applying though.

Bart