[Kde-hardware-devel] bluetooth in kde

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Mon Sep 14 00:24:24 CEST 2009

Alex Fiestas wrote:

> Hi Andrey! is so good to see that somebody else is taking care of bluetooth !
> I'm the current maintainer of solid/bluez and kbluetooth, I'm just starting
> with this job so is the perfect time to join! Since I'm the only one working
> on bluetooth, I did my own roadmap (discussed in kde-devel and irc), but of
> course if you join into the effort we can change it.

Hola,

I don't know if I'll have time to contribute to its codebase but as a
distro maintainer, I'm very concerned about the status of kbluetooth as
people complains a lot about it :(

> Right now this is what we thought:
> KDE lacks any kind of bluetooth support, and it is extremely urgent to have
> something working and full featured as soon as possible, To fill this gap, the
> idea is improve kbluetooth: cleaning the current code, adding new features
> directly into it (like a2dp pairing, modems, etc) and get it into extragear or
> kde. Once we have this piece of software stable, we'll have to export the new
> features to solid/bluez backend (so we've to write the new features having it
> in mind), if we do this right, this should be almost a copy paste. (solid
> really rocks).

For example, I can't make kbluelock work, is it working correctly on the
current trunk?
a2dp pairing (with eventual pulseaudio support), network access point
support for correctly sharing the internet through a cellular phone,etc.
etc.

> I'm unsure about work on kio_slave, the people really cares about have a
> kio_salve for bluetooth, so maybe we've to give to it more priority.

That even represents a regression as it was already implemented and
working in 3.5.x. kioslave for bluetooth is really a trivial and
transparent solution for end-users. I once head complains from a guy
which works with a kiosk-like handheld device (through windows 98). He
was using kioslave for transferring the files from it in 3.5 as Windows
doesn't even have a similar facility to transfer files so he misses that
in 4.x.

So I'm here to express my opinions in terms of functionality and
usability eventhough I can't contribute code to it, Thanks for your efforts.

Ozan Caglayan