[Kde-hardware-devel] Standarize umount notifications

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Oct 6 19:56:38 CEST 2009

On Thursday 1 October 2009 10:22:44 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> I believe that some centralization would actually be nice. I already
>  proposed to use the notification system, but apparently that was not
>  believed to be a good idea for some reasons. To me it seems quite natural
>  to notify the user that the "Now you can remove your external storage" in
>  some way, and the global notifications seem to be the right choice.. very
>  XP-ish, though... I'll think harder about that.

Sure it is nice to notify the user that "Now you can remove your external
storage". That said, it's not a spontaneous event, but something triggered by
the user, that's why I'd prefer to keep that in the context of the application
where the user triggered the operation. In this regard what is done in Dolphin
seems just fine to me. Not disruptive but the information is given close to
where the user triggered the teardown.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."