[Kde-hardware-devel] Standarize umount notifications

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 10:22:44 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 22:09:04 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Hi
> First of all, maybe this is not the right mailist to address all the
> discussion about this topic, but imho is the perfect mailist to start a talk
> about how to fix the situation, so keep reading !
>
> There are 2 related issues:
> 1-When the tearDown action fails, each application have his own way of notify
> it. Dolphin add the solid message on his status bar, while device-notifier
> shows a "plasma messagebox" with a more user-understandable message.
> Ex: dolphin shows: org.hal.massiveStorage.busy... and device-notifier shows:
> The device is currently being used by blabalblabla
> 2-When the device has been unmounted successfully, again each application have
> his own notification system, but this time the issue is worst because even for
> an advanced user like me, is difficult to know when I can unplug my pendrive
> without worry about losing data (the flush is over).
>
> After look at the different affected code (mainly kfileplacesmodel, dolphin,
> device-notifier), I'm sure that this is not the way to follow, and we've to
> centralize and standardize these notifications.
>
> So, if everybody here agrees on that, the technical question is, where we
> should centralize it?
> I saw soliduiserver but I'm not sure even if it is currently working (I don't
> remember see any hardware dialog since I'm using kde 4.3).
>
> What do you think? suggestions?
I believe that some centralization would actually be nice. I already proposed to use the notification system, but apparently that was not believed to be a good idea for some reasons.
To me it seems quite natural to notify the user that the "Now you can remove your external storage" in some way, and the global notifications seem to be the right choice.. very XP-ish, though...
I'll think harder about that.