[Kde-hardware-devel] new member

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Nov 3 08:21:29 CET 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 05:02:01 Vikram Dhillon wrote:
>          How are you guys? I am a new member here and i would like to
> contribute to Solid by writing device drivers, I have never done this
>  before so I would appreciate some help on getting started here.  Any other
>  suggestions are welcome as well.

Hi Vikram

I'm fine, thank you for asking.

Solid itself does not consist of classical 'device drivers' that talk to the
hardware.  It's more of an interface layer that talks to various platforms'
system software that talk to the drivers that talk to the hardware.

That doesn't mean there isn't anything to do - there are certainly bugs to fix
in Solid itself, as well as work in other parts of KDE to talk to various
types of devices - webcams (see the Kamoso app), sound cards (improving Phonon
backends), networking (ie 3G support) as well as improving the hardware
related UI for things like automounting.  So choose an area of hardware
support in KDE that you are excited about and we'll point you in the right
direction to help with it.

HTH

Will