[Kde-hardware-devel] Using Solid

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Nov 2 13:12:48 CET 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 04:30:11 David Hubner wrote:

> > > This is mainly to tell which interface is connected when you have a
> > > wireless and wired connection. It could be used
> > > to tell when a connection is gone from wired to wireless. It would also
> > > be useful on servers which have more than one
> > > network card as you probably wish for both to be connected or to state
> > > which one is not connected.

You can do this with the Solid::Control::NetworkInterface* classes defined in
kdebase/workspace/libs/solid

> > Well, I see that as valuable information to show to the user on the
> > workspace  side, still I meant "use case for an application in general"
> > (for instance I doubt a file manager, a picture collection browser, etc.
> > would have any need for such fine grained information).
> >
> > That's why we have the solid::control namespace in kdebase, for apps
> > which do  some finer grained tasks, like the upcoming replacement for
> > knetworkmanager that Will is working on, etc.
> >

> In a general use case i can see why it would not be useful. I admit i am a
>  little in the dark here,  I cannot find any API docs on Solid::Control or
>  the classes in the source in 4.3, is it being introduced into 4.4?

Look in kdebase API documentation. I don't want to move these into kdelibs
because a) I don't believe that there are enough usecases for this to make it
part of the KDE platform and b) a backend that provides this level of detail
(eg NetworkManager) is not present for all the OS' and distributions KDE
supports.

You are of course welcome to use the  libraries from where they are now.

Will