[Kde-hardware-devel] Using Solid

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 2 12:54:56 CET 2009

On Monday, 2009-11-02, David Hubner wrote:
> On Sunday 01 Nov 2009 12:40:52 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > On Saturday 31 October 2009 02:12:19 David Hubner wrote:
> > > I was mainly thinking computer UUID, this is avaliable in HAL but i am
> > > not sure about other backends.
> > > It would allowed for hardware profiles per PC. I can see reasons for
> > > not adding it tho. This is a hard one to judge.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "hardware profiles per PC" here? Care to
> > enlighten me?
>
> I was thinking of it possibly being used to identify a users PC for
>  configuration possibilities instead of per user. I admit i thought of this
>  as i was typing the mail so it isn't a well thought out idea :)

It might be possible to distinguish between PCs based on indentifying a set of
hardware components, e.g. class of CPU, size of memory, screen sizes and
resolution, etc.

Use case e.g. different performance/system-usage settings for different
machines in an office network (accounts not bound to individual workstations).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring