[Kde-hardware-devel] Merging new Solid Actions control module and existing control module

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Mar 25 09:10:25 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 08:14:20 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> There are currently two control modules for Solid: one for choosing
> backends, and one for managing actions. At the end of the review of
> the managing actions module it was suggested that I start a discussion
> about how to merge these two modules, since they belong together.

Agreed.

> Currently I propose creating a new category and placing both modules
> under it, so the user can find all the solid configuration under one
> item in system settings.
> Before I do this however I would like to know:
> A) Should both modules be merged at the code level?

At first, I thought it would work better to merge them as one module, not two
modules under a category. Reason for that was simply that the current
"Hardware" module just exposes the selectors for the solid backends. Which in
my opinion is something most user don't do, and then could be in an advanced
section of another module like the actions one...

But, looking closer at systemsettings, it happens that we also have the
Network Management and Power Management modules. So it wouldn't make "one
single module" anyway.

I'm surprised we still don't have a bluetooth one though.

So I'd say the best solution would be the following:
 1) Add the Hardware category, put the actions, power and network modules
under it;
 2) Move the current Hardware module in this same category and rename it as
something like "Platform Backends" or something equally non user-friendly
(it'd probably be temporary anyway, see below).

> B) Are there any problems currently with the existing backend
> selector, which would be corrected by the above?

Yes, currently its layout plain sucks IMO! It's really too tall which makes it
hard to read IMO. But once we have all the hardware related modules under the
Hardware category, it might be a good idea to just kill it and put the three
selectors under their own module (in a specific page? an advanced dialog? a
tab? whatever but it has to be consistent in all modules).

So the network backend selector would go into the Network Management module,
power management backend selector into the Power Management module. The only
problem I foresee is where to put the bluetooth backend selector as I see no
corresponding module in my installation.

Comments from the people responsible for the Power Management and Network
Management modules are welcome. If anyone has some clues about a Bluetooth
module, please let me know.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."