[Kde-hardware-devel] More i18n problems in Solid

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jul 24 14:08:18 CEST 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009 23:44:23 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Hi, following my quest to make Solid and its users nice regarding i18n
> usage i've stumbled upon Solid::DeviceInterface::typeToString that returns
> non translatable strings from the .moc autogenerated code
>
> That function is used in device notifier plasmoid (no idea if in more
> places)

I thought that Ben was the only one needing that in his KCM. And indeed he's
not alone there... I missed the notifier case and there's probably more.

> I'd suggest adding a new Solid::DeviceInterface::typeToTranslatedString as
> the other function might still be useful for something that needs stability
> when changing languages (like configuration keys).
>
> What do you think?

Yes it has to be an extra static method. No I don't like the name though
(surprise!). ;-)

What about DeviceInterface::typeDescription(Type type) ?
It'd map just nicely with the Device::description() you introduced earlier I
think. Anyone committing to implementing it? Patch should be a no brainer to
review. Bonus point to coordinate with Ben to reuse the strings he already has
in the KCM. ;-)

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."