[Kde-hardware-devel] (no subject)

Ben Cooksley sourtooth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:18:36 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Markus Becker<mab at comnets.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Markus,

> I am trying to create an action for a serial device, which should be available
> in the Device Notifier.
>
> In order to do that I created the following serial.desktop file and put it into
> /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/:
>
> -----------------
> [Desktop Entry]
> X-KDE-Solid-Predicate=[ IS SerialInterface ]
> Type=Service
> Actions=ope
>
> [Desktop Action open]
> Name=Start Serial Device
> Exec=kioclient exec %f
> Icon=system-file-manager
> ----------------
>
> Contrary to what I expected, no action is available in the Device Notifier. Is
> the problem with the predicate? I tried the predicate using PyKDE and for that
> it works fine.

This is because the Device Notifier reads in the available predicates
on startup. Therefore you either have to
a) somehow convince Plasma to delete the DataEngine in question
b) restart Plasma

I found this out when writing the Device Actions KCM.

> Is something in Device Notifier ignoring SerialInterfaces?
>
> Does KDE needs to be restarted to pick up the serial.desktop files?
KDE does not need to be restarted, but running kbuildsyscoca4 might help

> Thanks in advance,
> Markus

Regards,
Ben.