[Kde-hardware-devel] PowerDevil suggestion

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Sep 20 14:14:38 CEST 2008

Hi Ben,

On Friday 19 September 2008 21:16:24 Ben Boeckel wrote:
> I was wondering if it would be possible to have a schema with PowerDevil so
> that laptops could use the battery even when the AC power is plugged in?
>
> Batteries lasts longer when partially charged and discharged, so
> oscillating between 20% and 80% charge (or some other user-set range) would
> . Storage works best around 40%. [1] Manually doing this with (un)plugging
> the AC cord is possible, but doing it with configurations would be nicer.
> Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thinkpad's ACPI implementation has a knob for it, but AFAIK, that's restricted
to thinkpads (and then probably some models). In that case, you could hook a
script into it (powerdevil supports that).

I'm not sure if adding a control somewhere in powerdevil is granted, since
it's not offered on a lot of different models.

Cheers,
--
sebas