[Kde-hardware-devel] Additional solid device interfaces

John Hughes jondo2010 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 05:38:59 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm just starting to hack around with solid today, prompted by me plugging
my phone in with the usb cable and nothing happening.. :-D

The phone is a Nokia, and like so many others, supports SyncML over Obex,
which can run over http, bluetooth, or usb. Today I'm concerning myself with
the usb connection. Support already exists for SyncML with Opensync, and it
will happily read and write to the device over usb with obex. I however
would love to have notification support for these types of devices.

The end goal I'd like to see, is when I open up Kitchensync, it is able to
determine through Solid whether a suitable device is connected or not. Now,
I'm sure it's possible to do so already by working with whatever raw usb
device info solid is currently able to provide, but I'd like to see more
support built in for these types of devices.

The phone connects using a CDC-ACM interface.

My question therefore is, is this something that is truely within the scope
of the solid framework, or am I completely misled? Also, the most logical
direction for device/service detection would be to use libopenobex. This
could also be used for service detection/listings for bluetooth devices as
well?

Any ideas/flames welcome :-)

Cheers,

-John