[Kde-hardware-devel] UPnP support in KDE

Fabrizio Montesi fmontesi at italianasoftware.com
Sun Aug 24 01:34:45 CEST 2008

On Saturday 23 August 2008 13:42:33 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Le Thursday 21 August 2008, Armijn Hemel a écrit :
> > One thing that was mentioned is that we could use GUPnP (www.gupnp.org),
> > work with the GNOME guys to add D-Bus bindings to it and then use just
> > D-Bus.
>
> And for the record were also mentioned:
>
> 1) The possibility to use JOLIE also for the UPnP stuff. After all it's
> more or less a protocol which allows to expose services on the network.
> JOLIE deals just fine with other protocols of this kind, it would really
> only be a matter of adding the support for yet another protocol to JOLIE
> (epsilon how to handle the devices quirks).

/me hears the magic word and jumps into the discussion ;)

After a fast look the UPnP specs look like a set of mixes of http, soap and
xml to handle its different tasks (discovery, control, etc.). As such, it would
be possible to reuse a lot of code from the HTTP, HTTP/XML and HTTP/SOAP
implementations already present in JOLIE.
Protocol quirk fixes are not new to JOLIE (HTTP hell ...), either.

> 2) Whatever solution is used as backend (JOLIE, GUPnP or something else),
> extending libsolid to also expose UPnP devices could be a good way to
> expose that to the KDE stack. API wise the UPnP model would map just fine
> with the current libsolid API. Internally it'd probably be some work, but
> API wise it'd be only a matter of adding a few interfaces to get access to
> the features of the UPnP profiles we want.

If this is the way things are gonna be, we could even simply use the JOLIE
HTTP, SOAP and XML capabilities to implement pure JOLIE services to
communicate with the UPnP devices. This is a more hackish approach, though:
solution 1 is probably the best.