[Kde-hardware-devel] API addition in Solid

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Nov 17 17:07:48 CET 2007

Le samedi 17 novembre 2007, Matthias Kretz a écrit :
> It is not globally unique, where globally == unique identifier I can use on
> your computer and on mine.

Ah right, skipped the globally part. It's unlikely that you can forge such an
id though, for instance the way you do it you'll get the same id for twin
devices.

> It is also not guaranteed to stay unique on a given system. HAL may change
> the uid logic or you might need to change your hardware configuration.
> (Think broken soundcard - replaced by another one, different brand and
> features, but same udi.)

Yeah, if you change HAL or replace a piece of hardware it's not the same
system anymore.

> I didn't know about GenericInterface. I will use that to give me the
> uniqueIdentifier then.

Yes for now it's the best course of action. We're not going to stabilize the
thing by adding API a few weeks before tagging.

> But I sure need it to fix what I almost consider a showstopper...

It's hardly a showstopper, you have a specific need here.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."