[Kde-hardware-devel] API addition in Solid

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Nov 17 16:52:19 CET 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Le samedi 17 novembre 2007, Matthias Kretz a écrit :
> > I need a globally unique identifier for the devices listed by Solid. And
> > Solid::Device::udi() is not that.
>
> It is. It is unique for a given system.

It is not globally unique, where globally == unique identifier I can use on
your computer and on mine.

It is also not guaranteed to stay unique on a given system. HAL may change the
uid logic or you might need to change your hardware configuration. (Think
broken soundcard - replaced by another one, different brand and features, but
same udi.)

> > So I added the API and implementation for it, but the HAL implementation
> > currently is just proof-of-concept and the fakecomputer.xml doesn't have
> > any uniqueIdentifiers for now.
> >
> > I need this to fix the problem of initial ordering of audio devices in
> > phonon. Without a globally unique identifier I cannot have a "hardware
> > database" where the ordering of devices can be "fixed".
>
> Well, really that's IMO too late in the game for such an addition. If you
> need something ad hoc for now use the GenericInterface to make your own IDs
> and hide this workaround deep into Phonon for now. :-)

I didn't know about GenericInterface. I will use that to give me the
uniqueIdentifier then.

But I sure need it to fix what I almost consider a showstopper...

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de