[Kde-hardware-devel] Renaming Oxygen's devices/ icons

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Jun 18 12:49:17 CEST 2007

(Ah! Finally found it... didn't end up in the right folder...)

Le samedi 16 juin 2007, Jakob Petsovits a écrit :
> On Saturday, 16. June 2007, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Ok, small modifications I propose over your version:
> >  dvd-unmount             -> media-optical-video-dvd
>
> I agree that a generic video icon would be preferable, but i case we get
> one we should not have "video" as part of the DVD icon's name.
> Use case: all DVD/HD-DVD/Bluray discs containing regular data only.

My point being it doesn't matter to the user. :-)

> Following this approach, we would always have to display the
> media-optical-video icon also if a generic DVD icon exists, but I think
> that makes sense. A specific DVD video icon (which would be optional, of
> course) would then combine the characteristics of the DVD and
> media-optical-video icons, and would consequently be named
> media-optical-video-dvd.

Yup.

> >  ipod-unmount            -> multimedia-player-ipod
> >  memory-stick-unmount    -> media-flash-memory-stick
>
> Agreed.
>
> >  usbpendrive-unmount     -> drive-removable-media-usb-pendrive
>
> Maybe not. I mean, this is hard - a USB pendrive can arguably be classified
> as "flash drive" (also, the Wikipedia article is called "USB flash drive")
> but of course, it's a removable drive like an external hard disk.

Yep, and what the user focuses on is the "drive" part... it IS a drive
actually, not a medium you insert in a drive like a memory stick, a compact
flash, etc.

> Our friends at GNOME tend to favor media-flash-usb-*, as can be seen at
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-icon-theme-extras/trunk/Gadgetango/scala
>ble/devices/ If we are to go the drive-removable-media way, we need to talk
> this over with the GNOME artists, including dobey.

I'd really prefer if we go with the drive-removable-media way...
(Now would require updating
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/namingSpec/devices)

It also makes sense because of the fallback system:
drive-removable-media-usb-pendrive
drive-removable-media-usb
drive-removable-media

That is: no pendrive icon available, fallbacks to the usb drive icon, which
fallbacks to the generic removable drive icon, etc.

Since, I think the user sees is pendrive as a drive it makes more sense IMO.
The fact it contains flash memory is an implementation detail, it could
perfectly contain something else.

> > And that means we lack proper fallback versions for multimedia-player,
> > media-flash and media-optical-video.
> >
> > 1) multimedia-player
> > I think we should really have something neutral for this one, unlike the
> > ipod one we have currently... So that means 'yet another icon' sorry
> > guys.
> >
> > 2) media-flash
> > We have no fallback for this one, but I'm not sure if it's really needed,
> > the icons we have cover all the possible cases currently... So for now
> > I'd live without the fallback here. But putting a branded memory stick as
> > fallback looks wrong to me.
>
> For convenience, I'll attach the multimedia-player and media-flash icons
> from Tango and GNOME as examples how it *could* be done. Although I
> specifically dislike Tango's original media-flash.
>
> Nevertheless, we should really have a fallback media-flash icon. If nothing
> else, let's just remove the branding from one of the existing icons and let
> it be the fallback. Also, it's specified in the spec, and I'd really prefer
> having all of the icons mentioned there.

Ok.

> [...]
> Given that there's David volunteering for the icons themselves, and Kévin
> for adapting the code, the only thing that's left is:
>
> - Final approval of the updated proposal by Kévin and David, and

Apart from the pendrive, I'm fine with the current proposal there:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/namingSpec/devices

Getting it lighter on the (dvd|bluray|hddvd) is indeed the way to go IMO.

> - Knowing when to start.
>
> Great responses so far, thanks for your involvement!

Thanks for working on it in the first place!

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."