[Kde-hardware-devel] Missing powermanagement features in Solid

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Jun 16 22:52:41 CEST 2007

On Saturday 16 June 2007 22:03:55 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Le samedi 16 juin 2007, Sebastian Kügler a écrit :
> > Hi Solid gods, demi gods and believers,
>
> Hi Almighty Ass-kicker,

I wonder if people will ever forget. Don't think so actually.

> > While hacking on a Plasma::DataEngine that can potentially provide the
> > necessary information for a battery applet, I found that some
> > functionality is missing for the things I'd like to see implemented at
> > some point.
> >
> > More specific, I'd like to see the following provided by Solid:
> >
> > - Time remaining until battery completely empty
> > - Time remaining until battery is fully charged
>
> Not provided yet, actually I'm not sure where it's best to implement this
> since this kind of information is completely unreliable, and requires some
> learning on the battery behavior (which would be weird to do in a lib imo).

Well, HAL has those and I found it quite useful (gets us rid of the policy
stuff, provides consistency for those that are running various
powermanagement tools at the same time). GNOME's powermanager actually has
some advanced heuristics to collect this data, I'm not sure if that's what we
want. See for example http://hughsient.livejournal.com/28386.html

Anyway, being able to get this information from HAL would be a good first
step, one could drop in a better implementation of the remaining time some
time in the future. The information itself is essential. Most users don't
care about the percentage, that's battery dependant, they want to know how
much time's left.

> > - Methods for invoking suspend, hibernate and shutdown
>
> Already provided, see the Solid::Control::PowerManager namespace in
> kdebase/runtime/solid.

I didnt' see Solid::Control::PowerManager to begin with.

> > - Methods for reading and setting brightness of the display
>
> Not provided yet, I've no problem if someone adds it to
> Solid::Control::Powermanager.
>
> > - Methods for reading and setting the CPUFREQ policy
> > - A SIGNAL when the laptop lid is opened or closed
>
> Both provided in Solid::Control::PowerManager.

Ah, nice.

> > Is this functionality planned, or even implemented already and I'm just
> > too stupid to find it? All of the above are already provided by HAL (at
> > least on my machine running Kubuntu Feisty).
>
> Well, answered the "planned or implemented part". As for being too stupid
> to find it... the answer is "no". Back from Oslo, we made our best to
> confuse you. :-)

Ok, I'm positively stupid.

[...]
> In my opinion Solid (or Solid::Control for that matter) is not the right
> place for such a feature, it has more to do with session management than
> hardware management. And yes, because of the nature of you're application
> you'll have to deal with both.

Agree.

Thanks for the quick reply :-)
--
sebas

deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin, 1759