[Kde-hardware-devel] Missing powermanagement features in Solid

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Jun 16 22:03:55 CEST 2007

Le samedi 16 juin 2007, Sebastian Kügler a écrit :
> Hi Solid gods, demi gods and believers,

Hi Almighty Ass-kicker,

> While hacking on a Plasma::DataEngine that can potentially provide the
> necessary information for a battery applet, I found that some functionality
> is missing for the things I'd like to see implemented at some point.
>
> More specific, I'd like to see the following provided by Solid:
>
> - Time remaining until battery completely empty
> - Time remaining until battery is fully charged

Not provided yet, actually I'm not sure where it's best to implement this
since this kind of information is completely unreliable, and requires some
learning on the battery behavior (which would be weird to do in a lib imo).

> - Methods for invoking suspend, hibernate and shutdown

Already provided, see the Solid::Control::PowerManager namespace in
kdebase/runtime/solid.

> - Methods for reading and setting brightness of the display

Not provided yet, I've no problem if someone adds it to
Solid::Control::Powermanager.

> - Methods for reading and setting the CPUFREQ policy
> - A SIGNAL when the laptop lid is opened or closed

Both provided in Solid::Control::PowerManager.

> Is this functionality planned, or even implemented already and I'm just too
> stupid to find it? All of the above are already provided by HAL (at least
> on my machine running Kubuntu Feisty).

Well, answered the "planned or implemented part". As for being too stupid to
find it... the answer is "no". Back from Oslo, we made our best to confuse
you. :-)

We decided there to split the solid library in two library libsolid, and
libsolidcontrol. The point is that libsolid contains what will be used by 90%
of the applications, and libsolidcontrol contains what will be used by the
10% of the applications which are the workspace and policy ones (like
powermanagement applications).

Then libsolid is in kdelibs, and libsolidcontrol in kdebase. The nice thing is
that for those highly specialized applications we're not tied to binary
compatibility constraints and can tune libsolidcontrol more to fit there
needs during the KDE4 timeframe.

> Longer term, I'd also love to be able to set an idle timeout. The use case
> for that would be "Fancy Nancy wants to send her computer to sleep after
> being idle for 13 minutes or more." Fredrikh told me some time ago on IRC
> that this would be possible with new X version. Ideally, I'd tell Solid how
> long the idletimeout should be and receive a SIGNAL once the system is idle
> for this amount of time.

In my opinion Solid (or Solid::Control for that matter) is not the right place
for such a feature, it has more to do with session management than hardware
management. And yes, because of the nature of you're application you'll have
to deal with both.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."