[Kde-hardware-devel] wireless and kde 4

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Jan 22 21:32:04 CET 2007

On Saturday 20 January 2007 23:14, Giovanni Venturi wrote:
> Sorry, I know you are working on NM, I downloaded it too, but slackware
> Linux is not supported and I think also FreeBSD, but not totally sure about
> of FreeBSD... Well I'm thinking of writing nothing because I don't know
> about the KDE 4 specific plans. Maybe you are working to make it working on
> Slackware and FreeBSD... I don't know.

I'm afraid not - I'm just working at the KDE level to make KDE work well with
distributions that do use NetworkManager.

> I just asked If I can give some kind
> of help because I'd like to see wireless on FreeBSD too, on slackware and
> wpa_supplicant now is in the FreeBSD world, so is system integrated in the
> base library and it works fine also on Slackware. Last time we talked you
> suggested me to write to this mailing lists IIRC, or someone else told me
> :) . Now I found some spare time. I'd like to give my help If I'm able to
> do but I don't want to break all of you modifying your plans becase as I've
> seen there is a lot of working on NM and it works on Debian and its forks,
> OpenSuSE, and other distribution.

Having user-controlled (not root) networking where appropriate on other
distros would be great.  NetworkManager is one way to do that and since it's
a layered system it makes it easy for me to write to its interfaces without
knowing what is happening at the network interface level.

> I'd like to try give some help if time let me do. If you think is not a
> good idea to work on other projects I can understand because the coding
> work has to be shared with the community and is not always a good idea to
> start on a new thing when there is something that still works. Do you think
> is possible to support *BSD and Slackware into NM?

It's definitely possible.  It's not really a KDE question though since it is
below the NM interface and involves re-wiring a distribution's network layer.
But it should work on any platform where there is D-Bus.  If you are
interested in integrating NM on those platforms I would talk to their
communities and find out if there are plans to do so.  If not, are there any
plans to introduce another form of user controlled networking?  Maybe they
have valid reasons not to use NM yet, or maybe they need NM experts to make
the switch.

If you want to contribute at the layer between NM and KDE then I would install
a distro with NM and KDE and explore the way it works, then you could help
with the Solid backend that I am working on atm.

HTH

Will
--
Will Stephenson