[Kde-hardware-devel] Data Collector

did.hoarau at club-internet.fr did.hoarau at club-internet.fr
Sun Jan 7 11:36:42 CET 2007

Hi All,

This is my first email in this mailling list, si let me
introduce myself :
It has been a long time since I wanted to getting involved
in an open source project. As I really like KDE I decided to
join a KDE 4 team. I am a french software engineer (I
graduated in 2006) and I have been using Linux & KDE for the
last 6 years.

Now let's talk about the task I picked up in the Wiki. As I
had to begin somewhere I picked up a small project in the
Wiki (http://solid.kde.org/wiki/index.php/Tasks) : the Data
Collector.
OK, so to begin to work on this (and after I have read the
Wiki & Solid Website page) I have asked myself a few
questions:
When this will be used ?
What kind of data will be collected ?
How and where will the data be sent ?

I have though a little bit about these things and I have
made my own opinion on them:

When it will be used: I guess the users will use this wizard
when some of his devices do not work properly (not detected,
not properly configured, when he doesn't know how to used it
on KDE, etc...). I imagine it his a little bit like a bug
report.

What kind of data: I suppose it will contain information on
the devices on the user's computer (known by solid). I also
suppose the user will be able to send his comment on this
(what it's going wrong, etc...). Maybe he doesn't want to
send all information known by solid but only a part of it.

Where the data will be sent: I guess the data will be sent
by email or to a web service (or something like that) on the
Internet.

I don't know if I get it right, but if I have forgotten
something of if I have misanderstood something, just tell
me.

Bye

Didier.

PS: As we are at the beginning of 2007 and as it is my first
message, Happy New Year !