[Kde-hardware-devel] Slight change to the Solid::Volume API

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Aug 13 14:51:50 CEST 2007

Le mercredi 08 août 2007, Christopher Blauvelt a écrit :
> I was talking to Matt Broadstone and he was asking about adding a way to
> get the amount of used/free disk space available on a volume.  It doesn't
> appear to be implemented in HAL (unless I just didn't see it) but if I were
> to implement it in HAL (in a reasonable time frame) and then make that
> information available in Solid would it be accepted?  I wasn't sure what
> policy was after the API freeze so I just wanted to check here before I do
> a lot if unnecessary work.

Well, regarding the API freeze I'm really in the mood to add almost nothing
now until 4.0 is out (I only have one add planned, and that's mostly because
it'd be used somewhere else in kdelibs).

As for the proposed change itself, that's a topic that got covered already
(don't remember if it was on list or IRC). But basically, for volatile
information like "available space on a volume" (changes constantly,
unlike "total space on a volume" for instance) libsolid is not the right
place. KSysguard probably is though... after a quick check it even provides
it already.

I'm always amazed at the amount of stuff KSysguard already provides but which
isn't reused. I hope that a KSysguard plasma dataengine will improve this,
I've no idea if something is planned though. John, care to enlighten us?

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."