[Kde-hardware-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Major milestone reached for Solid

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Sep 30 16:28:18 CEST 2006

Hello list,

As some of you might have already noticed, Solid is part of kdelibs since
yesterday. A few directories are still in the work/kdehw branch though. They
contain the few test apps developed (namely solidshell and
solidhardwarebrowser), the HAL and Powersave backends, and a temporary
library called "solidstats" which is an experiment to bring ksysguard
features closer to kdelibs.

Those directories might be relocated in the future, I'll keep you informed
about this.

It means that now we're tied to kdelibs rules for libsolid and libsolidifaces.
Binary incompatible changes are only allowed on monday there and we'll have
to comply to this.

But more important, it also means that libsolid can be used in applications
from other modules of KDE (kdebase, kdemultimedia, ...). So pick you favorite
application and add support for Solid there. The more we'll use it the more
we'll have feedback for making the API better.

Currently libsolid covers the following sets of features:
 - Hardware Discovery
 - Power Management
 - Network Management

A first backend for network management using NetworkManager is in the work by
Will. If you're interested in contributing to this backend please discuss it
with him.

For other potential backends, I added a page on the wiki to list the efforts:
http://solid.kde.org/wiki/index.php/BackendsStatus
If you feel like adopting one of those backends, or if you want to propose
more feel free to do it.

So please update your kdelibs and work/kdehw branch. Happy hacking!

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."