[Kde-hardware-devel] KDE (Linux hardware) issues

Christopher Blauvelt cblauvelt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 20:21:03 CET 2006

It seems that the first priority of solid should be informational.  The
device manager that you're describing would be better suited as a "helper
application."  Or a front end that is capable of accessing the knowledge
base and downloading and/or compiling drivers as needed.  This would be in
keeping with the tried and true *nix mantra of do one thing really well.  A
device manager would be an appropriate application to be released with
kde4.  It all depends on how ambitious we're willing to be.
I believe your second point is very valid.  Mostly as a courtesy to the user
more or less to update that system so it knows what's installed and what
isn't.  This again would be a priority of the device manager application.
I don't really understand what you're getting at in your third point.
Transferring hard drives to another system?
A live CD needs to be a future goal of the project.  I, however, see a very
limited use for it.  Most of what the knowledge base is all about is what
driver combination to use to get a device working "as advertised."  That
takes trial and error and usually some google'ing.  Most of my time spend
getting devices to work is not spent coding.  In fact, I don't believe my
coding knowledge really helps me at all.
Judging by the pace of previous KDE system development I feel that having
narrowly focused goals and sticking to them will make the biggest
contribution to KDE and foster the greatest amount of adoption.
Well that's what I think.  Feel free to disagree.
Chris