[Kde-hardware-devel] KDE (Linux hardware) issues

Alexander Antoniades sanderant at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 03:37:59 CET 2006

Hi all, you asked for input so I thought I'd put in my 0.02$ as requested on
the announcement. I'd just like to put out a couple of ideas/questions on the
offhand chance you haven't thought of them (doubtful, but you never know). :)

1) The biggest problem with most of the hardware interaction issues with Linux
is that projects like HAL Device Manager is that they offer information, but
no way to rectify the problem. I know that Hal Device Manager was made that
way by design, but this makes it relatively useless, so the first issue is I
hope any type of device manager style applications provide a way to actually
change or rectify hardware problems as opposed to simply stating what the
system sees.
From my experience having to deal with that OS that runs on 90% of the worlds
computers everyday, the main use of a device manager style application is to
see if the OS sees the right hardware and to sometimes change drivers in the
case of mis-identification, or drop to a generic driver in the case of a
driver not working correctly.
This is my main shortcoming with Linux these days and would go a long way to
help those of us who try to evangelize and expand Linux's base.

2) What about integration with any existing projects? In particular I was
thinking about Ubuntu's hardware database and YaST. I know YaST is a whole
backend, but components like SAX2 are GPL and seem like they would go a long
way towards making X (which I assume would be a necessary prerequisite to KDE
on all platforms) easier to manage.

3) One more wish (which isn't done by any OS I know of) would be the ability
to show all the drivers the currently installed KDE system. This would help
for in the event of moving the hard drive to another system or switching out
hardware the ability to anticipate the difficulty of any change or when
making upgrade decisions.

4) Lastly, for those of us that don't have programming skills, but have access
to a wide array of hardware I would suggest you plan on releasing live CDs to
help us assist in any hardware information gathering as I'm sure you'll get
as much information as you can handle that way.

I realize these are generally pretty obvious, but I wanted to make sure I
offered them up for you since the project is just starting.

Thank you for addressing this weakness in KDE and I look forward to your
progress!

Sander