[Kde-hardware-devel] networkstatus

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jan 6 10:43:44 CET 2006

Le Vendredi 6 Janvier 2006 10:07, Will Stephenson a écrit :
> Hi Waldo, list.

Hi Will,

> I'm glad to be a part of the team :).

Welcome on board. ;-)

> As Waldo says, it's only in pim for organisational reasons.  The
> functionality is not in any way pim specific.  We can move it to kdelibs
> when the time is right.

Ok, I should have been confused by the state machine. It looked oriented on
syncing features and as such looked a bit PIM oriented to me. Thanks to you
and Waldo for clarification.

> To summarise what we have at the moment:
>
> *) networkstatus is a kded module
> *) it is a high level interface to network status information.  This means
> it does not know anything about specific interfaces, wired/wireless, IP
> details.

Ok, and with Solid that will be our primary goal to provide such information.

> *) it has 2 functions
> *) - interface to find out "Is there a network?".  This works by polling
> kded over DCOP, and via DCOP signals
> *) - interface to asynchronously request a network connection (over DCOP),
> and receive notification when the network is available.
>
> Currently the interface is a bit more powerful than the implementations -
> we envisaged being able to request "Give me a connection to host XYZ" so
> that if a VPN or specific interface is required for that host, it can be
> started. However, we don't have a network infrastructure that can do that
> yet.

Yes, so let's improve this infrastructure first thanks to Solid and from here
we'll be able to move networkstatus and make it aware of the extra
information provided by kdelibs itself.
It looks like a safe way to do it IMO, in particular since you're on board
having strong knowledge of networkstatus needs (as you might have noticed
that's not my case yet). And that's more or less how I plan to proceed with
the mediamanager.
Do you agree with this?

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."