[Kde-hardware-devel] Specification for Solid::Capability::Processor

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Dec 21 20:15:54 CET 2006

Le Jeudi 21 Décembre 2006 19:03, Christopher Blauvelt a écrit :
> With multiple-core processors now, I think we need to define what
> Solid::Capability:Processor is.  Currently HAL denotes each core as
> Processor (I'm guessing because that's what the kernel does) and,
> since HAL is the only hardware backend, Solid does as well.  My
> concern is that if another backend comes along and lists muli-core
> processors as only one processor this could cause problems for apps
> that rely on this undocumented "rule."

Indeed.

> I would propose that we document that a Solid::Capability::Processor
> is created for each core (in the case of mono-cored CPUs, only one).

I agree with you here.

> There are a few pieces of information that would help to make this
> decision.
> How many processors are listed for CPUs with Hyper-Threading?

Hehe, very good question: 1.5? :-)
I'd say we shouldn't bother about this, Hyper-Threading will probably
disappear with time. It's really about multi-core nowadays.

> Does HAL specify how it will be listed?

AFAIK it specifies nothing, it reports as reported by the system.

> How does the BSD kernel list multi-core/multi-proc/HP processors?
> How does the windows kernel list multi-core/multi-proc/HP processors?

I'd like to have such data indeed. But I don't have access to multi-*
hardware.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."