[Kde-hardware-devel] Specification for Solid::Capability::Processor

Christopher Blauvelt cblauvelt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 19:03:22 CET 2006

With multiple-core processors now, I think we need to define what
Solid::Capability:Processor is.  Currently HAL denotes each core as
Processor (I'm guessing because that's what the kernel does) and,
since HAL is the only hardware backend, Solid does as well.  My
concern is that if another backend comes along and lists muli-core
processors as only one processor this could cause problems for apps
that rely on this undocumented "rule."
I would propose that we document that a Solid::Capability::Processor
is created for each core (in the case of mono-cored CPUs, only one).
There are a few pieces of information that would help to make this
decision.
How many processors are listed for CPUs with Hyper-Threading?
Does HAL specify how it will be listed?
How does the BSD kernel list multi-core/multi-proc/HP processors?
How does the windows kernel list multi-core/multi-proc/HP processors?

What are your thoughts?
Chris