[Kde-hardware-devel] Namespace name

Michaël Larouche michael.larouche at kdemail.net
Tue Apr 4 19:15:56 CEST 2006

Le Mardi 4 Avril 2006 11:33, Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> On Tuesday 04 April 2006 12:30, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Le Lundi 3 Avril 2006 20:51, Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> > > Just a general question: do you plan to keep the KDEHW namespace name
> > > or move to Solid, like Phonon has moved from KDEMM to Phonon?
> >
> > Well, I'm somewhat pondering. I tend to think there's nothing bad to have
> > separate names for the sub-project and the librairies (and then
> > namespaces). And in particular for a new developer not knowing Solid,
> > kdehw might say something to him. But on the other hand Phonon named
> > everything *phonon* and Plasma is doing the same... so it might be
> > interesting to switch for consistency.
> >
> > Do you have something particular in mind while asking this?
>
> No important reason. I just noted that recent patches used KDEHW and that
> Phonon changed away from KDEMM.
>
> I think Plasma is a bit different anyway, as it is not only a framework but
> also a set of applications. Phonon and Solid are AFAIK just
> framework/library.

No, Solid is a framework and a sets of applications like Plasma.

But IMO, we should use Solid as namespace before I'm pretty sure that
Marketing Group will use these projects names to promote KDE4.

So a new app developer will first look for Solid and not KDEHW.

--
Michaël Larouche (Shock The Dark Mage)
KDE developer working on Kopete, Kamefu...on dial-up :P
MSN/Email: michael.larouche at kdemail.net
IRC: irc.freenode.org/DarkShock on #kopete,#solid,#kamefu,#plasma
Jabber: darkshock at myjabber.net