[kde-guidelines] Re: Shift+Delete shortcut for "cut" standard action

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 07:41:22 UTC 2015

On Donnerstag, 4. Juni 2015 07:50:00 CEST, Arjun AK wrote:
> On June 3, 2015 10:41:00 PM IST, Heiko Tietze
> <heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 03 June 2015, 17:18:16 Thomas Lübking wrote: ...
>
> If not SHIFT+DEL, then what else would you recommend?

Some more information here:

- The Apple shortcut to
  * delete[1] is Cmd+Del (⌘+Del),
  * (forcefully) empty the trash is Cmd+Shift(+Option)+Delete.

- The command key is semantically equal to the Meta/Windows key, but it's IBM counterpart in shortcuts would be Ctrl.

- The "Option" key is Alt/AltGr

- Ctrl+Delete is taken by "Delete word forward"

- Meta/Windows+Delete should be available - though it might be a neat Alt+F4 replacement ;-)

- Cmd+Shift+Option+Delete (the afaik only thing that forces deletion by emptying the trash) would be available, but is oc. a "do not use me" combo.

Nevertheless, Shift+Del *is* a popular shortcut to bypass the trashcan and if you ask "ordinary" users what it does (not poll whether it should be cut or delete, there's no good answer) I doubt you'll hear as single "cuts selection"

To talk ppl. out of that, one could perhaps

1. define something like Meta+Del or Ctrl+Shift+Del as standard primary shortcurt for "force deletion",

2. have "wrongdoing" clients to keep their Shift+Del behavior as alternate shortcut, but

3. (of course) allow users to deactivate that (without having to come up with an alternative) in order to resolve this conflict (if they want to use CUA shortcuts) and

4. announce the "new" shortcut (ie. eg. display move to trash in Dolphin's rmb menu when pressing Meta) and tell everybody "this is the legit shortcut to force deletion, Dolphin et al. do wrong to mimic MS"

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] to trash, Mac users better don't bypass anything ;-P