[kde-guidelines] Proposed addition to the MessageWidget HIG

Heiko Tietze tietze.heiko at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:17:46 UTC 2015

On Mittwoch, 30. Dezember 2015 17:29:10 CET Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Do not allow the user to dismiss a message panel (i.e. do not show a close
> button) if they cannot continue with their workflow until the problem which
> the message panel informs about is fixed.
> Example: The user has entered different passwords in a field to set a new
> password and its confirmation field. The dialog cannot be committed in this
> state, so the message panel cannot be closed manually, but only disappears
> when the problem is fixed.
+1 Alternative examples: "... For example: different/wrong password entered =
hide the dismiss button, printing failed = show the dismiss/close button)

At the old page https://community.kde.org/Sprints/UX2011/KMessageWidget
states are discussed as a) negative feedback (something unexpected happens),
b) positive feedback (success of critical transactions), and c) opportunistic
interaction (app triggered information). And a) must not be closed but b) and
c), which is exactly what is defined in this guideline. So we should rather
merge it with the updated page. It's a shame that we didn't read the good
stuff carefully.

Do we have a better icon for dismiss? The colored close X is wrong on the
background. (ctually icons must not be colored completely.)