[kde-guidelines] Proposed addition to the MessageWidget HIG

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Dec 30 16:29:10 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,
a review request [1] where KMessageWidget is used as feedback for a problem in
a form prompted me to re-think the guideline regarding the ability to manually
dismiss a message widget. Therefore I propose the following addition to the
MessageWidget HIG [2]:

Do not allow the user to dismiss a message panel (i.e. do not show a close
button) if they cannot continue with their workflow until the problem which the
message panel informs about is fixed.
Example: The user has entered different passwords in a field to set a new
password and its confirmation field. The dialog cannot be committed in this
state, so the message panel cannot be closed manually, but only disappears
when the problem is fixed.

If I hear no objections, I will add this to the HIG tomorrow.
Cheers,
Thomas

[1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/126523/
[2] https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/MessageWidget