[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Mar 29 17:32:33 UTC 2014

On Saturday 29 March 2014 18:19:12 Philipp Stefan wrote:
> On 26.03.2014 04:38, Andrew Lake wrote:
> > I did it again! What was I thinking? Haha, no problem. When I got home
> > after work I did a quick mockup showing what the progression looks
> > like for the fake file manager:
> > http://wstaw.org/m/2014/03/26/Category_search_pattern.png
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I'm violating some HIG alignment guidelines somewhere
> > there, but I hope you get the idea - progressively reveal more
> > functionality as the user needs it.
>
> This looks very good. My only problem is that we could run into
> situations where the search field is too short/the side bar is too big.
> It obviously looks good when the search field is shown, but when it's
> hidden the sidebar looks rather funky.
> Of course the content view could just be shrunk to make place for a
> bigger side bar when the search is called, but then the content would
> also jump. IIRC Heiko did/does want to prevent this from happening.

Agreed: The sidebar shouldn't auto-expand when the options are expanded. It
could make all the icons in the main part rearrange, which would be quite
confusing.
If we can avoid that, I'm fine with the idea :)

> On another note: I'm currently trying to get into the Wiki stuff, to
> "fork" the HIG parts that I like contributing to, like Andrew did. I
> didn't think it's that complicated :D

No need to "fork" anything. You can just edit a page with a suggestion, we can
still revert it easily if we decide that the suggestion is not the way to go.