[kde-guidelines] Visual Design Guidelines + HIG

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:05:23 UTC 2014

Hello Heiko,

As I'm working to integrating the visual design guidance with existing HIG
guidance, I was hoping you might be amenable to a slight update to the
structure under the Presentation section that might make it a little easier
to harmonize, as well as reflect some of the more recent considerations in
visual design guidance.

The current structure of the presentation section (
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG#Presentation) is:
Presentation
* Layout
* Style
* Text

In so much visual design these days layout, style, and text are all
interrelated in so many ways that it is near impossible to think about them
separately. This can sorta make it a touch challenging to figure where to
put (or look for) each guideline. Additionally, one of the sayings we often
encounter in design circles is "you have to know the rules to break the
rules". It's basically a way to encourage structured creativity while
ensuring that design goals continue to be met - don't throw out the entire
ruleset out every time you need to do something different. To this end,
more recently designs rules are often captured in sort of a hierarchy so
that when a different approach is needed in a specific case it can still be
validated against the higher level design objectives. This allows more
rapid iteration of the visual design while still satisfying the same
overall visual aesthetic.

Anyway, on my userbase wiki is a proposed structure for the Presentation
section that I'm hoping still satisfies your intent for that section,
preserve all of the guidance already there, while benefiting from some of
the more recent design guideline approaches. It's here:
http://userbase.kde.org/User:Andrew/Presentation-VisualDesignGuide. It also
identifies the how we might complete the remaining integration of the icon
design and color/color set guidelines. The new structure is basically:
Presentation
* Design vision and principles
* Style (including layout and text guidance)
* Building Blocks
* Tools (mockup kit, etc.)

For the "know the rules to break the rules" bit, if developers want to do
up a new UI control that's not in the Building Blocks, it should still
satisfy the Style guidance. If we want to introduce new typography, it
should still satisfy the design vision and principles. Presentation aspects
of new design patterns should satisfy the Style guidance (since it's a
collection of building blocks). If we come up with a new design principle,
it should satisfy the design vision. And so on...

Thanks so much for all your work the HIG. That work is providing fantastic
context for integration of our visual guidelines.

Let me know if this is ok and I'll go ahead and start this second phase of
integration.

Much respect,
Andrew