[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Mar 24 18:29:04 UTC 2014

On Monday 24 March 2014 18:32:35 Philipp Stefan wrote:
> >     [5/D] Search field on the bottom.
> >
> > I think it's a no-go to open a small input on demand somewhere at the
> > bottom.
>
> If Thomas agrees we can at least agree that the input should be always
> on top (of the content) :)

I don't know. I just did a quick scan of some KDE applications and actually
found a searchbar at the bottom to be a very common pattern (if not the
prevalent one). Examples:
- Filter in Dolphin
- Konqueror / Rekonq
- Kate
- Konsole

Above the content appears to be the common position for search bars that are
always visible (like KMail or System Settings) while bottom seems to be the
common position for search bars that only appear when a search is initiated
(via the menu or Ctrl-F).
Would it makes sense to put it like that in the HIG or should we force all
applications which put it on the bottom to change it? I assume the pattern of
"make a search bar appear at the bottom when user starts searching" was
inspired in browsers by Firefox and then spread to other applications.