[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Mar 24 18:15:06 UTC 2014

On Monday 24 March 2014, 18:32:35 Philipp Stefan wrote:
> Oh, that's the indicator that the search is still ongoing. I didn't
> include the "search finished" state in the mockups because I got lazy ._.
> I send a mockup off all the possibilities (read: that I found
> acceptable) in a reply mail to Thomas Pfeiffer. I guess this got lost
> somehow. How should I post mails to the list in future to prevent this
> from happening?
> Anyway, here's the picture of the "idle" and "busy" state of the search
> field [1]
I have seen this mockup too but forgot it. Anyway, I don't like it because
search is ongoing is less informative and does not need an extra icon. What do
you think about a decorator of the magnifier? Just add your arrows to the right
bottom during the search - and animate it if necessary.

> I don't think we can prevent the jumping, only lessen it. If you compare
> the hight of the search field and the available space between the
> content view and the window controls on the right sight then you'll
> notice that the search field doesn't fit in, even less so with padding.
We could extend the height of the address line...

> Also, if the search field would be to the right of the address field
> wouldn't the user assume that the search only affects the current
> directory? I think this might be better for the filter functionality.
> Dolphin also hides the address line when the search functionality is called.
Touche. Go with the replacement option, but have the search icon at the same
position in any condition. I.e. do not make it vertically jumping and have
something static at the horizontal line.