[kde-guidelines] Typography HIG update

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 23:09:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> So users can set a completely different font for menus than for other UI
> elements? That could lead to some messed-up UI looks, couldn't it?
> Why do we have those three settings in particular? That seems rather
> arbitrary
> to me.
> For me it would make sense to allow the user to set one dedault GUI font
> with
> one default size (as proposed in the HIG) and then have anything else be
> multiples of it.

Just like we got rid of the Desktop and Taskbar font settngs for Plasma 5,
I confess that sort of anticipated that we might eventually convince
ourselves to get rid of the separate Menu and Window Title font settings as
well. It's part of why I tried to express everything in that third column
both in reference to the current font settings but also to the single
General font. But I didn't want to try to resolve that implementation
decision before releasing a typography guideline that could be useful right
now.

> > Developers should not be doing font*0.8 in their code ever.
>
> Why? What problems could that lead to?
> Does this mean that users should only set the smallest font and then
> everything else uses a scaling factor >1?

Not to drag this discussion off into the weeds but, my ideal world would
have three font customizations available to the user: General, Monospace
and Smallest (to support vision impairment issues). For the developer, I
would have the typeface accessible by Typographic Category methods sort of
like how Plasma has the Heading font. But I really don't think we have to
wait for that ideal world to provide guidance on appropriate typeface
sizes. If developers resize fonts using the guidelines until the
convenience methods become available I'm fine with that. They can update
their apps later. I think it'd be worse if they have no typography guidance
at all to follow until then.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> We should really sort out the issues David has raised. Once that's done,
> I'm
> completely find with the HIG.

I sent a separate response to David's feedback, but yes I'll be sure to
wait till David provides an affirmative response.

Take care!
Andrew